- This Friday is our first Global Fun Friday and the theme is Mardi Gras! If your child brings $2.00 they can wear purple, green and gold Mardi Gras colors with uniform bottoms!
- If you are making payments for the field trip in May to Tennessee the first payment of $37.50 is due February 28th.
- Next week is Love the Bus week. If your child rides the bus, please consider encouraging them to make a thank you card or even bring in a small treat for their bus driver if you can!
* Thank you Evan for our quote this week, "Love gives us hope that change is possible." -Stephen Colbert
* My homeroom will be going to visit their reading buddies tomorrow at 8:45. Please dress warm and wear comfortable shoes!
* Compton and Lachler's homeroom did a great job with the Living Wax Museum last week! Check out the Never Stop Learning spot at this link:
* Next week we will be beginning our next novel, Dragonwings. For this book, we will be focusing more on literary technique that we can apply to many pieces of text.
* We will also get the results this week of our mid-year assessment and begin discussing multiple choice test-taking strategies.
With Valentine's Day being this week, I thought I would share some quotes from experts on the subject. -kids
I hope you enjoy these, I know I sure did.
When my grandmother got arthritis, she couldn't bend over and paint her toenails anymore. So my grandfather does it for her all the time, even when his hands got arthritis too. That's love.
Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.
Love is when you go out to eat and give somebody most of your French fries without making them give you any of theirs. -
And finally, my favorite,
We are finishing up our unit on dividing fractions. Hopefully all students can tell you that to divide fractions you need to multiply by the reciprocal or at least keep the first fractions, change the divide to multiply, and flip the second fraction.
If all goes as planned (that never happens), we will have our end of unit assessment on Thursday or Friday. In the meantime we will finish up learning about:
- Solve volume problems involving fractional lengths.
- Identify appropriate operations to use when solving problems involving fractions.
- Use addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to solve a variety of problems involving fractions.
- Apply multiplication and division of fractions in a modeling context.
Home Opportunities/Morning work is due on Friday at the beginning of class. Students have time at the beginning of class to get most of the work done at school if they use their time wisely. This week's work can be found at:
Let's have a week of loving to learn together.
Science - We are going to conduct a matter lab on Monday to explore which properties the amount of matter matters. They will have to answer questions on their own and it will count as a project grade. They will have 2 test this week because of how things landed. Tues will be the test on thermal energy, Thurs will be the test on matter. They have all their notes for both tests.
On canvas students can access 90 % what we do in class everyday. It is a great tool for if they are absent or miss class for other reasons. If they are missing notes it is a great way to get them.
A reminder to look on powerschool. If your student has any zeros encourage them to make-up/turn in the assignment.
Crayola style markers- Parker and Compton
Construction paper- Parker
Pencil top erasers- Parker
* Congratulations to Lydia and her basketball team who finally won a game! The team they beat was undefeated!!!
* We hope Lucas has a great time with his new YMCA membership!
* Thank you to Zarek who brought a display board to donate to someone who needed it!
* Thank you to Moksh who donated envelopes and Clorox wipes to our classroom!
* Logan's haircut looks great!
* We hope Boston's hockey clinic went well and he learned lots of new things!
* We love Makenna's new hair color!
* Congratulations to Moksh for losing another baby tooth, the first one in a long time!
* Congratulations to Sydney for being nominated for Koontz' Step-Up Student last week!
* We have had lots of sickness going around! We missed Evan, Jakob I., Corey, Emma Kate, Eythen, and Zackary when they were out!
* Congratulations to Ian for winning the Name That Continent on the student announcements last week!
* Thank you to Aidan for trying to fix our broken cabinet last week!
* Congratulations to Mrs. Parker's homeroom who won agendas for the 3rd week in a row! They will get to enjoy donuts sometime this week! Please continue to encourage your child to work on this important habit!
* If you would like to schedule a conference please fill in your name on the google doc link below. We would love to meet with you!
6th- Cierra S.
10th- Ceirra N.
Other important February dates:
13th- Class pictures
16th- EXTENDED DAY
17th- Mardi Gras Day $2.00
Deadline to turn in Boxtops
21st- EXTENDED DAY
22nd- Early release- school dismisses at 12:30
24th- Caine's Arcade project due
28th- Writing celebration (by sign up only)
NJHS hours and dues to Mrs. Parker